Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The True Art of a Start- is by Instinct: The entrepreneurial spirit, Stretching the funds, A woman’s perspective, Meeting of soul mates

My first steps into the Tech world in a very non-tech way. One afternoon, I got a call from these friends of mine who had started their new company-.
RockeTalk. They wanted me to give them an honest feedback. The Good, the bad, the ugly- all of it. After a bit of convincing - notice it did not take too long- I was game to start playing with this very basic phone application that they showed me which in the Founder’s words was basically ‘SMS on steroids’.

There was something about this concept- maybe it was the Founders’ enthusiasm, yes it was two of them, that made me say yes. In hind sight, I had a suspicion that they had read Guy Kawasaki’s very firm advice and exercise in his ‘The Art of The Start’ to rely on the smartness of women. Well, they hadn’t.


Their reasoning: I came from a background of working, volunteering, with Non-profits/NGOs. I was involved in event and artist management. I had a strong Arts background – Psychology and Sociology. And that I was a people’s person. Loved talking…lol.. OK so most women do.


I was rolling my eyes by now. I read between the lines –all that talk about my background was a crock! It was my ‘volunteering spirit’ that drew them to me. Great entrepreneurs that they were, they were trying to get as much help they could for-FREE or at the cost of a couple tall Mistos at their favorite Starbucks! I saw that appreciated the effort.


I was, at that point, intrigued enough by the application and decided I would devote a much disciplined hour or so everyday to play with it (after all I had my day job too) and by the end of that week, come back with feedback.


I started off, created a username and within minutes had people pinging me! I was taken aback. I was told that the application was a neat way to send voice, text and picture messages painlessly- something that the promise of MMS had miserably failed at, to my friends and my network and here I was getting pinged by random people from- Russia, all over Europe, South Africa! And how did they find me? Well they said they just searched for a female user and there I was!


I was beginning to understand the application better. I was seeing it in a totally different light- very different from what the founding ‘tech-team’ thought they had put together! In the founder’s words, ‘Of course, I had to be able to see if my other friends were online and yes, I need to be able to search for my friends.’ Unknowingly they had introduced two very powerful components to their multi-media messaging platform - presence and search.


Soon I was getting voice messages from all over the world. From places- Turkey, Egypt, India, Pakistan, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Canada. I was enjoying myself and was spending every spare minute I had, staying online constantly, talking to this mélange of people round the clock, at times waiting for some of them to get back on.


From my interaction with some of the people online, I knew I had in my hands something with great potential, something that could change the way people interacted. There was a flood of things racing through my mind. You got to remember I came from a non-profit background and had very strong views about the World, global understanding and working with people who did not necessarily know English. This was perfect! OK you’ll say I had a very naïve view of the World but I still believe this is the best tool. (More on this later) but I had run a business of my own and knew that everything needs to make money- even non-profits.


Needless to say, I could not hold back for the week to get done. I called and told them coffee was on me and that they could count me in every way! They knew the minute they saw me that they had indeed found a soul mate.

Factoid:
Man Smart. Woman Smarter (How could I resist)
Men have 6.5 times more gray matter in their brains than women do. Women have 10times more white matter. Gray matter creates processing centers in the brain, and white matter creates the connections between them. In other words, men have lots of areas for processing concrete data -- like mathematical equations -- and women have lots of connections that allow them to see and process patterns [Source: Live Science] :)

8 comments:

Ajay Rohera said...

Well, I am not good at writing but in my simple words I would say that I also tried this application (RockeTalk) and found it extremely good. The approach of the company who has developed this product seems very simple and nice, specially the voice, image and video messages which are just one click away now.

Lowtechgal said...

Thanks Ajay.

What started as a messaging platform has since developed into a self contained 'hangout' place to meet old friends, make new ones and talk just about everything under the sun- with people throughout the world.

Keep following us.. new features and better options coming up with in a couple weeks.

Meghna said...

Hey, jst read ur blog..first..u write well..its good to know bout a tech thing in not so techy lingo..know wht i mean..
Secondly,
i too started using Rocketalk in May 2008, n hv bin hooked to it ever since then...my mornings strt with rocketalk now..instead of my usual cup of coffee :)..n my day aint over till i wish all my friends from all over the world..goodnight on rocketalk..dats the addiction of this application.
I hope the company further developes it..n brings in some more exciting stuff.
(pooji)

Lowtechgal said...

LOL.. thanks Pooji.. good to know you have been enjoying RockeTalk. I have not really told too many users about my blog. The few people who do know have been wanting more so I'm thinking I shd make this a regular thing.

Btw- belated happy birthday- saw tons of greetings floating around for you. Man - wish people remembered my birthday too..lol..

Catch on RockeTalk.

Mohammad Umar Baba (Byline: Baba Umar) said...

Hey salaam,
how are you--we
have never met but i found your blog posts on Kashmir catchy and touching...as i write i am preparing myslef for tomorows curfew---thats the life here--yu lucky to be in US..

www.umarblogs.blogspot.com

Lowtechgal said...

Hi Kashmirviews,

We might not have met but the sentiments and the love for the land and people is the common thread. I have always had a very special corner for Kashmir and over the years have tried to understand the dynamics - can by no means say that I understand it fully but I can say that my job, which includes being moderator for RockeTalk and the default 'buddy' that gets added to peoples' friend list, has given a chance to interact one-on-one and in group situations with people with different points of view. I think I have been able to rise above the political noise and start understanding things and looking at the bigger picture. Helps to keep an open mind :)

Getting ready for the curfew.... Inshallah this too shall pass.

Mohammad Umar Baba (Byline: Baba Umar) said...

Salaam,
May I know you from which part of Kashmir???

Lowtechgal said...

Wslm!

I don't really belong to Kashmir...it is long story... I'll tell you one part right now... the rest might come out in bits and pieces at some other time.

I don’t really belong to Kashmir in the generally perceived and accepted way of 'belonging'.

My Dad was born in Sialkot and guess he spent some good years in Srinagar and Jammu. Aur Jammu se Sialkot ki lights dikhti hain... that was my first memory of Jammu. Most of my memories of Kashmir are still fresh in my mind.

I have visited Kashmir a number of times and love everything about it. It is kind of 'meeting of old souls' - the land, the people and me.

The last I visited Kashmir was after my brother passed away and we went, as a family, for the last rites related ceremonies. Even that- though a very sad occasion, does not bring back bad memories.

People- right from Usman- who was taking care of us, to the taxi-driver- Rehman- took one look at our faces- a middle-aged couple- with two daughters (my sister and I) and seemed to understand at once what was going on and were kind and helpful. Not sympathetic- everyone came there for similar ceremonies I guess, it was kind of expected.

Then there were the Pundits who just kept rattling the family names of the ancestors.. and within minutes- we found the one who had all the family history with him.

The time when the Pandits were trying to find out the ancestry- that was a bit scary as they were pushy. But overall, the experience soon turned in to a much more spiritual, a connecting one- of my ancestors to that land. I think that sealed it for me.

You probably guessed- I’m not Muslim. But I’m not Hindu either. I try to follow what I feel is right. And sometimes, I don’t follow at all.